How’s you’re reading life going? Let’s be honest – there may have been a time when the idea of staying at home with unlimited time to read sounded like a dream come true. But that dream never looked or felt like our current reality. So while we are at home, our reading life may have met some stumbling blocks: we’re homeschooling our kids, we’re cleaning our houses, we’re watching too much news, and we’re worrying about loved ones. We may be having trouble concentrating on long books, we don’t want to read anything depressing, and on top of that the library’s closed, and we can’t find anything we want to read in the e-library.
While you’re missing the library, the library is missing you too! We can’t wait to see you in person again soon. Meanwhile, here’s a list of authors who are upbeat and quick to read and will leave you feeling optimistic when you turn the final page. Importantly, they are available now in our e-library (as I’m writing this). Many of them are available on Hoopla, where books are always available!
- Elinor Lipman: I started reading this author when I heard her described as a modern day Jane Austen. I agree! Her books are romantic comedies and what I love about them most is the clever and witty dialogue. My favorite is On Turpentine Lane. Various titles available on Hoopla, cloudLibrary, and OverDrive.
- Lauren Graham: Yes, that fast talking Gilmore Girl is also a writer! Someday, Someday, Maybe is as witty and charming as the author. This title, as well as I’m Talking as Fast as I Can and In Conclusion, Don’t Worry About It (audio), are available on cloudLibrary.
- Lorna Landvik: I won’t lie – Landvik’s characters always seem to go through some things, but they persist and come through stronger in the end – maybe that’s what we need right now! Audiobooks available on Hoopla and cloudLibrary, eBooks on OverDrive.
- Alexander McCall Smith (The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency): Precious Ramotswe’s gentleness, good sense, and good humor may be just what we need to keep us company right now. There are 20 books in the series – throw caution to the wind and read them in any order – it will be ok! Various eBook titles available on Hoopla, cloudLibrary and OverDrive. Audio on RB Digital.
- Paulette Jiles, News of the World: The characters in this historical novel also go through some things, but ultimately, you are left with a feeling of hope. It is being made into a film starring Tom Hanks, so it comes with the bonus of looking forward to the day we can go to the movies and see a film starring Tom Hanks. Hoopla and cloudLibrary.
- Jennifer Niven (Velva Jean series): Before Niven was a young adult author, she wrote a series about Velva Jean, living in Appalachia during the depression. Life is a struggle, but you will fall in love with Velva Jean’s grit and determination to live out there in the great wide world. You might want to read this series in order (or not!): Velva Jean Learns to Drive (cloudLibrary) ; Velva Jean Learns to Fly; Becoming Clementine; and American Blonde (all audios on Hoopla).
I hope this helps you find something happy to read – what are you reading right now that’s making you happy? Let us know! Is there a different kind of book you’re looking for? Let us know and we’ll write a new list!
— Pat H., Branch Manager, Yardley-Makefield Branch