Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the pioneering Supreme Court Justice who became the second female on the nation’s highest court, the leader of its liberal wing, and a pop culture icon known as Notorious RBG. Celebrate her legacy with films, a magazine special cover, and books for all ages that will honor her extraordinary life and service to our country.
The inspiring Academy Award-nominated documentary “RBG,” chronicling the Supreme Court Justice’s life is available from our library’s catalog, to stream on Hoopla (watch on your device or stream Hoopla to your big screen at home) or to watch on DVD/BluRay.
“On the Basis of Sex” is an old-fashioned Hollywood drama about Ginsburg’s early years and her prominent role as co-litigator with her husband, Martin Ginsburg, on the 1972 gender rights case Charles E. Moritz v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue. This 2018 biopic can also be purchased on Amazon Prime Video and in the iTunes store.
Time magazine will feature Ginsburg on one of multiple special covers for an October double-issue presenting the 2020 Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people. It will include a special tribute to the justice, who was featured on the list in 2015. The library has an extensive selection of print magazines, including Time, available to patrons.
Dozens of books for all ages have been written about Ginsburg. Learn more about her remarkable life, career, and views—and tell her story to a young person—with these books. Some of the most popular and current biographies about her are listed below.
- Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law by Jeffrey Rosen
- My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg with Mary Hartnett and Wendy W. Williams
- Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon
- The RBG Way: The Secrets of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Success by Rebecca Gibian
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life by Jane Sherron De Hart
- Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O’Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirshman
- Becoming RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Journey to Justice by Debbie Levy (graphic novel)
- Dissenter on the Bench: Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Life and Work by Victoria Ortiz
- I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy, illustrated by Elizabeth Baddeley
- No Truth Without Ruth: The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Kathleen Krull, illustrated by Nancy Zhang
- Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg – Young Readers’ Edition by Irin Carmon
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Laurie Calkhoven
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality by Jonah Winter, illustrated by Stacy Innerst
- Ruth Objects: The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Doreen Rappaport, illustrated by Eric Velasquez
- The Story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg : A Biography Book for New Readers by Susan B. Katz
- Who is Ruth Bader Ginsburg? by Patricia Demuth
Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a trailblazer who will forever remain a public figure who stood for equal rights, integrity, and justice in this country. Click here to see the library’s full selection of print and digital materials celebrating her exceptional and unforgettable life.
— Kathleen L., Collection Management Librarian