As the weather gets colder, it’s time to get cozy! And what could be cozier than a warm blanket, cuddly stuffed animals, and a good book? We’ve got you covered at the library! Here are some great books that teach kids how to knit, crochet, sew, and have fun with other textile arts. And once you’re ready to curl up under your own homemade blanket, why not enjoy a picture book or chapter book story that celebrates your new hobby!
- Knit, Hook, and Spin: A Kid’s Activity Guide to Fiber Arts and Crafts, by Laurie Carlson
- From basic braiding and knot-tying, to making and using your own hand spindle, to knitting and crocheting clothes, this books gives step-by-step instructions and illustrations to help you complete over 70 fun projects in a wide range of textile and fiber arts.
- Kids Knitting, by Melanie Falick
- Kids of all ages can learn to knit through clear instructions and illustrations. Start with simple projects and build your skills by making things you can really use or wear.
- Kids Learn to Crochet, by Lucinda Guy
- A great intro to crocheting for younger kids. Learn the basics through fun projects like making pencil toppers, a simple bag, and even your own stuffed animals!
- Kids Crochet, by Kelli Ronci
- Older kids can learn beginner crochet skills, then take it further with more challenging projects to craft your own clothes and toys. Lots of photos and illustrations will guide you, and there are special instructions for lefties.
- A Kid’s Guide to Sewing: Learn to Sew with Sophie & Her Friends, by Sophie Kerr
- If Sophie can sew, so can you! Learn from a kid’s point of view how to use a sewing machine to make your own clothes and bags in styles to suit all kids.
- Stitch-by-Stitch, by Jane Bull
- Ever wanted to try needlepoint or embroidery? Learn the basics of these decorative arts with lots of photos to guide you along the way.
- Baabwaa & Wooliam, by David Elliott
- Extra Yarn, by Mac Barnett
- Fancy Party Gowns: The Story of Fashion Designer Ann Cole Lowe, by Deborah Blumenthal
- How to Knit a Monster, by Annemarie van Haeringen
- I Had a Favorite Dress, by Boni Ashburn
- Leave Me Alone!, by Vera Brosgol
- The Mitten String, by Jennifer Rosner
- Ned the Knitting Pirate, by Diana Murray