Although Broadway productions are now in their longest shut down in history, there are a wealth of theatrical resources available to help the show to go on from the comfort and safety of your own home:
- With your library card, stream Hoopla to your big screen at home and watch your favorite musicals, such Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Aladdin, Fiddler on the Roof, Gypsy, and more!
- Visit Hoopla’s vast selection of music and choose from over 100 Broadway musical soundtracks to listen to hit songs from performances such as Dear Evan Hansen, Frozen, Guys & Dolls, Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Waitress, Wicked, and of course the original Broadway cast recording of Hamilton!
- More and more, live musicals are being filmed for TV or streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Broadway HD and more. Click here to learn about some of the best filmed Broadway shows and where to find them. The Theater Lover’s Guide to Streaming also provides a thorough summary of each streaming services’ list of available Broadway productions and beyond.
- Search our library’s catalog to place holds for curbside pickup of musical DVDs, such as Newsies or Oklahoma, or check out our “May I have this song and dance?” Binge Box collection of six of the most popular recent musical movie DVD releases.
- Be sure to keep an eye out for the 74th Tony Awards, which will take place in the form of a virtual ceremony this fall. No word yet on further details, including an exact date. This will be determined in the future by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing, who are the co-presenters of this annual tradition that honors and acknowledges excellence in Broadway theatre.
- Until shows can be live and in-person again, our hope is that these resources will provide some much needed positive distraction and heart-felt entertainment, while allowing you the at-home experience of enjoying many of your Broadway favorites.
— Kathleen L., Collection Management Librarian
Image Credit: Ajay Suresh