Know a brand-new reader who’s raring to go? Reading a book with a story or topic they love is a great way for beginning readers to build confidence in their reading skills and develop a love of reading – crucial for motivating them to keep at it if the going gets tough.
Short sentences, repetitive text, a small number of words on each page, and common sight words make these terrific titles suitable for the most beginner of readers. What kind of book will your new reader love?
- The Adventures of Zip series by David Milgrim
- Batman Has a Plan by Tina Gallo
- Batman Is Fast! by Maggie Testa
- See Me Run by Paul Meisel
- Who Is That, Cat the Cat? by Mo Willems
- Flubby Is Not a Good Pet! by J. E. Morris
- What Will Fat Cat Sit On? by Jan Thomas
- You Are (Not) Small by Anna Kang
- Cat Dog Cat: The Story of a Blended Family by Nelly Buchet
- I Hug by David McPhail
- I See and See by Ted Lewin
— Emily K., Youth Services Librarian