In 2023, the Bucks County Free Library is kicking off a major initiative to offer more, better story times to the children and families we serve. Our success will depend on hiring eight new part-time Program Leaders. The ideal candidate loves connecting with young children and their families and is passionate about leading learning through play. We are looking for enthusiastic, energetic people to join our team.
As a Program Leader, you will plan and conduct educational play-based programs for children ages 0-5. You will lead children and their families in song, dance, and rhymes; and guide them through games, exercise, obstacle courses, scavenger hunts, building with blocks, and other interactive activities. Typical minimum attendance is 25 children with their caregivers. You generally will host two programs per scheduled shift with time allowed for planning, preparation, training, and meetings.
Positions are available in our Doylestown, Bensalem, Langhorne, Levittown, Perkasie, Quakertown, and Yardley-Lower Makefield, branches. Schedules are firm because they’re tied into scheduled program times.
- The Doylestown position is 16 hours per week and includes working every other Saturday. The week one schedule is Monday through Thursday 9-1 and the week two schedule is Monday through Wednesday 9-1 and Saturday 9-1.
- The other positions are 20 hours per week and include working every other Saturday. The week one schedule is Monday and Tuesday 9-2, Wednesday 9-1, and Thursday 9:30-3:30. The week two schedule is Monday and Tuesday 9-2, Wednesday 9-1, and Saturday 9:30-3:30.
- Associate’s degree in a related field required, such as elementary, early childhood, or special education, child development, recreation, or arts education
- One year related experience working directly with groups of children
- Must have current driver’s license, insurance, and own transportation or ability to travel among many library sites
- Applicant must provide on date of hire the following three required clearances: PA State Police Criminal Record Check; PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and FBI fingerprint-based background check.
COMPENSATION: $23.65 per hour probationary rate; $24.38 per hour regular rate
APPLY BY: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled.
- Complete the job application, which provides the opportunity to upload a cover letter and résumé, and directs you to pre-employment testing.
- Take pre-employment test battery (link at end of job application), which consists of four tests: cognitive aptitude, customer service, Excel 2016, and computer and Internet knowledge test (about 45 minutes for all four).
- Complete the Supplemental Questionnaire form, save your document, and then upload it here or use “Upload Completed Supplemental” link below.
Job Description Job Application Upload Completed Supplemental
- Applicants who are brought back for a second interview will be asked to submit video samples that demonstrate how they lead children’s activities.