The Bucks County Free Library is looking for an enthusiastic, service-driven Programming Assistant to join our newly forming Outreach and Programming team, headquartered in Doylestown. The team serves the public of all ages. This position has a particular focus on services to children and their families.
As a team member you will be scheduled or spontaneously pop up in all kinds of weather at venues large and small, such as community days, busy retail centers, public parks, and schools. You will lead children and their families in fun, engaging activities that show them what the library has to offer and entice them to visit. Family favorites include all types of active play, such as bubble and dance parties, oversized games, and obstacle courses.
The ideal candidate has a flair for the dramatic and handling crowds, loves meeting new people, and is energized to inspire children and their families to learn while they play. When not scheduled for offsite events, provides customer help and library services in the branch, including story times and other activities for children and their families.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as elementary, early childhood, or special education, child development, recreation, or arts education. The library will consider applications from candidates who do not have a bachelor’s degree but have significant experience working with families and children.
- One year related experience working directly with groups of children
- Must have current driver’s license, insurance, and own transportation or ability to travel among many library sites
- Must have clean driving record and ability to safely drive the library’s outreach vehicle as well as navigate to sites throughout Bucks County (Ford 150, no CDL required)
- Applicant must provide on date of hire the following three required clearances: PA State Police Criminal Record Check; PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and FBI fingerprint-based background check.
Schedule: 20 hours per week variable schedule. Includes mornings, afternoons, evenings. Generally, two 4-hour shifts, one 4.5-hour shift, and one 7.5 hour shift on Thursdays or Fridays and opposite Saturdays on a rotating basis
Starting Wages: $23.19 probationary rate; $23.90 regular rate
To Apply: Links to job description, job application, and supplemental questions are below.
- Complete the job application, which provides the opportunity to upload a cover letter and résumé, and directs you to pre-employment testing.
- Take pre-employment test battery (link at end of job application), which consists of five tests: cognitive aptitude, customer service, Word 2016, Excel 2016, and computer and Internet knowledge test (about 55 minutes for all five).
- Complete the Supplemental Questionnaire form, save your document, and then upload it here or use “Upload Completed Supplemental” link below.